Friday, October 14, 2011

Unsung Heroes


When we hear the word "hero", we are most likely to think of person who has done something great in the eyes of the public, such as saving a person from a burning building with the odds against them, and from that point on their life is in the limelight. Our nation has war heroes, heroes from 9/11 who gave so much, even their lives, to save and help others. There are sports heroes, who people admire for their great skills. People have heroes in all walks of life. We have super-heroes (even though fictitious) who use their super powers to combat evil. Most of the superheroes have undisclosed identities; no one knows who they really are. Their heroic deeds are well known, but the man behind the mask remains unknown. I'm all for heroes, they are doing good things. (And I will add it is rather fun to dream up fantastic situations where your hero wins the day... ;-) ) Most of us will never meet any of these heroes: the great, the mighty ones who are extraordinary. If we did get to meet a hero, we would probably be floating on air and feel very privileged. Well, all of us have met a hero one time or another but haven't realized it. Here is one definition for what hero is: "a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal".

Who are these heroes we have met and did not know were heroes? Until recently, I hadn't realized I have a hero in my everyday life. This person has performed heroic acts and has modeled what a good, Christian woman should be. I ha
ve often just taken this person for granted, never thinking how much this person has impacted my life. The love shown me, even in my darkest moments, has filled me with comfort. The behind the scenes acts of this person have made my life much easier, physically and spiritually. This person has suffered my pain with me and suffered their own pains for my sake, saving me from the brunt of worse pain. Often this person goes unnoticed, not only by my self, but by other people. Even though unnoticed, this person still gives their all to make others lives happier and safer. If I did not have this person in my life, who knows who I would be today. I could be out on the streets, in a gang, just throwing my life to the wind. This person is a wall of protection, a pillow of comfort, a listening ear when I need one. My hero is a silent hero, not one seeking glory. King David was only a boy when he became a hero for slaying Goliath. His fame spread, and he grew into a great man with much power. Many responsibilities were given to him. But for all his fame and greatness, he fell into sin, and because of his sin he suffered. Now I'm not saying heroes have to be or are perfect. But they can and should be the best they can be to God and themselves, not the world. Our Blessed Mother Mary is the ultimate silent hero. She gave of herself to be the mother of God, even though she felt unworthy. She raised Jesus into manhood, even with the knowledge he would suffer greatly in the end. I can only imagine the ways she protected Jesus from any suffering she could in his early years. When he left his mother to go out into the world before he died, who wold think of the woman who raised him? Yes, he is God, we know that, but how many believed that when Jesus walked the earth? Did many think of who had educated him at home, who had taught him to be a man?
The person who has most influenced my life and who is my hero is my mother. I can never thank her the way she needs to be thanked for all she has done for me. I am a good Catholic woman because she has taught me the truths of my faith, she has taught me kindness, to be giving of myself. There is so much more she has to offer me and I only hope I take advantage of what she has to offer. It will be the only way I can thank her properly for her hard work: to be the best person I can be, in any situation. I hope I make her proud of me, because in her pride for me she is seeing the her fruits of a job well done. Many people if you ask them who is the hero in their life will tell you of someone who has done something physically fantastic, has such-and-such a job, has achieved such-and-such a standing/accomplishments, or has done something great in their life. Sometimes it isn't what you can see that counts. It's what you can take away from someone and become a better person with what you have discovered that counts.
Thank God for our Unsung Heroes: they count!

No comments: