Thursday, December 8, 2011

Pretty Happy Funny Real

IMG_8896-3

~Pretty~
We visited James Madison's Montpelier a couple days after Thanksgiving. The grounds were spectacularly beautiful especially since it was one of the last warm days of 2011. 
 A race...
...to catch...
...her older sister! 

~Happy~
What could be a more fitting epithet? 

~Funny~
In this house, pens have an uncanny habit of walking away. In an effort to forestall this, my mother labeled the pens that she uses (as you can see below).
Upon discovering said pens one day, my sister and I formulated a theory that like an anti-theft device, if anyone besides my mother used the pens they would explode. 
Well, as you can see below, I had the opportunity to test said theory just the other day... 
I think we were right. :)

~
Before exploring the gorgeous grounds of Montpelier, we had the opportunity to take a tour of the mansion...
The little one payed strict attention the whole time and upon spying the statues of James and Dolly Madison after the tour, exclaimed, "Mommy, Daddy, look! Dolly Madison is my mom and James Madison is my dad!"

She then proceeded to sit on her "new dad's" knee and read with him. ;)  

~Real~

What is wrong with this picture? 

I made a batch of orange poppyseed muffins for St. Nicholas' feast day... and then it struck me...


A) It's been nearly two weeks since Thanksgiving and the turkey and gravy recipes are still on the counter... 

B) I am probably the only person in the world using a basket of cosmetics and dental supplies (yes, that is toothpaste) to prop open my baking book. 

hmm. Definitely a reality check. 

(The muffins turned out really well, thanks be to God, and I was able to serve them with dinner. On a side note, if you're interested in a new baking book, I highly recommend Baking: A Commonsense Guide.  I haven't found a bad recipe yet! ) 


3 comments:

Miss Sarah said...

That is an awesome baking book. So true: never made a recipe I didn't like!

Great pictures Libby!

Misty said...

The race to catch her sister photos are lovely. I am so hungry I could eat one of those muffins!

Lisa said...

The race photos are lovely. But I love the ones with "James" and "Dolley"!! So sweet!