Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Mystery of the Golden Scarab

This happened last semester, but I think it is still worth sharing... :)

Haven't you ever wanted to entitle something like that? It seems that everyone wants to have some work of a similar name (I just googled "the golden scarab" and came up with everything from music and books to ancient egyptian cults). But, you ask, why would I want the title of this post to be "the mystery of the golden scarab" when the post itself has nothing to do with gold let alone egyptian mythology? Listen my children and you shall hear ... *oops wrong story

Let me just begin with the facts. When one lives in a household where there are multiple people sharing different cars, it can become a bit of a game figuring out who has driven before you. For instance, if the gas tank is full and the seat is as far away from the steering wheel as possible, the last person to drive has indubitably been my father. On the other hand, if the gas tank is nearly empty and the seat is as far away from the steering wheel as possible, the last person to drive was probably me. Just kidding.

Sometimes it can be pretty obvious who was driving. For instance, whenever my mother drives, she closes all the vents and directs the air towards one's feet. I on the other hand prefer the vents completely open, especially during the summer.

And so it happened on the particular day in question, upon plopping myself down in the car, I proceeded to open the air vents.  I drove to classes, arrived without mishap and the day progressed normally.

 After a weary day, I sauntered back to the car while enjoying the beautiful fall  weather. I got in the car and began the fight through traffic to get onto state route 123... After waiting through several long traffic lights, I was finally able to get on the highway. Then something peculiar happened.

As I reached the speed limit, a curious object shot out of the righthand vent and landed on the passenger seat. I was so surprised, it took a second for me to comprehend what had happened. I glanced at the seat to see if I was mistaken (I am legally blind without correction, you know). I wasn't. There on the seat next to me was this:


Yes. My very own golden scarab (i.e. a dead june bug)... that the car saw fit to propel at me through the air vent. I'm beginning to wonder if I should have named the car something other than "the echo"... maybe it wants to be the new "love bug" or something. I don't know.

Thankfully the car hasn't shot any more dead bugs at me, but I am still wary of directing the air vents towards my face just in case.



1 comment:

Miss Me said...

Haha, how shocking! I am glad it didn't end up hitting you. I went through Mass one Sunday with no problems, but after it ended, I felt an itch in my ear. Turns out a giant June bug had made itself at home in my ear. YUCK.