Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Waiting for Mr. Right...

As we all know finding a good, normal, eligible and attractive man can be difficult. And sometimes it can be disheartening to see so many abnormal, annoying, and abhorrent .... *ahem*.... let's just say ineligible guys around. Ok, well the situation is really not that bad, but I just had to alliterate. 
Anyways, when I begin to become disheartened at the bleak boyfriend situation, :) two things come to mind: Genesis 9 and.... Colbie Caillat? 


What could these to seemingly unrelated items have in common? Rainbows. Genesis 9 deals with Noah and the ark. As we all know, after the flood God promised that he would not flood the entire earth again and gave the rainbow as a sign of that promise. 
"And God said, 'This is the sign of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations: I set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth....When the bow is in the clouds, I will look upon and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth." ~ Gen 9:12,16
Right before this, in verse 1, God blessed Noah and his sons saying, "'Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth...'" ~ Gen 9:1 Thus, God favored man once more with the command to procreate. In this way, the whole story of the ark, procreation, and God's providence are linked. 


Consequently, whenever I listen to Colbie Caillat's song "Rainbow," Genesis comes to mind. In "Rainbow" Colbie describes her journey towards "Mr. Right. " Her usage of the rainbow is similar to the common image of following a rainbow to get to a pot of gold at the end. 




Personally, I prefer to see the rainbow as God's particular plan for me.  In the same way that the rainbow is a symbol of God's providence in not flooding the earth, it can also be a symbol of God's plan for us. I realize that no matter how bleak the situation may seem, God is in control. No matter how long the road--or rainbow-- is, I'll find my place in life eventually.  As Colbie sings, "I've got no reason to worry, I know I'll find the end." I will get to the end of the rainbow following God's present plan for my life. God knows what he's doing and nothing is a waste of time. 


It often is easy to become anxious when thinking about one's future life and husband--especially when there don't seem to be eligible men around.  But, just as Colbie's song is one of hope and joyful anticipation, so too we have to have optimistic determination. Whoever and wherever our future spouse is, we still have to follow God's "rainbow" for us in order to find him.  Perhaps we are the ones who need the growth beforehand, perhaps he is. Whatever the case may be, following God's providential plan for us is the only thing that will make us happy. 
Any thoughts?

1 comment:

Miss Julie said...

I agree with you 100%. Remembering to rely completely on God, that He has a plan for your life, can be so difficult at times. Not knowing in what direction you are going can be disheartening. But there is a God that loves and takes care of us. Not having a physical presence around to remind us of the care and love we are receiving can make it harder for us to realize that we are being looked after. I think that if we can find a way in our spiritual life to come in close contact with God through mental prayer, and letting God take hold of us, we will remember His presence around us, and ultimately that should lead us to total surrender to Him. My mind had all these thoughts running through it as I was writing this, so I hope it makes sense.