Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pretty, Happy, Funny, Real

IMG_8896-3

~Pretty~

A robin's nest...

...in our backyard!



...So fragile!

~Happy~

Just recently our mixer broke after twenty-one years of service (no, that is not "happy"). But, this meant that all our homemade bread had to be kneaded by hand.
 AND, there is nothing that makes me happy like kneading dough by hand! It's so delightful! (I suppose if I had to make it the "old fashioned way" all the time I probably would not like it as much, but who knows?!) 

We usually make eight loaves at a time, but in this case, the first loaf was gobbled up as soon as it came out of the oven! 


~Funny~
 This is a picture from Easter, but it is all part of the story. So in other words, you will have to bear with me. :)

In a zealous effort to create an awesome Easter egg hunt, my sister replaced all the raw eggs with candy filled ones. She placed those she removed in a bowl towards the back of the refrigerator.... 


Let me just say, I believe our fridge is as committed to keeping things cold as my sister had been in creating a fantastic Easter Egg hunt. Therefore, when reaching for a nice fresh egg the other day, I was greeted with a nice frozen egg. See below:


It is actually neat to be able to say that I have held a peeled raw egg without it having slipped everywhere. (Not that that would be something that I would necessarily flaunt on a blog *ahem* around.) The eggs were beautiful, but the irony of the whole story gave my whole family a good laugh. (Unfortunately, if eggs are frozen within their shells they are not supposed to be eaten. They did not go entirely to waste, though, as the dogs sure enjoyed their icy snack.)

 ~Real~


 Really easy and quick cherry pie. (Really delicious too!) 


(I will post the recipe if anyone is interested.)

8 comments:

Kendra Fletcher said...

Really? They're not supposed to be eaten? Uh-oh. I've done that :D Wonder why that is?

Also, your loaves are amazingly beautiful. Would you share your recipe?

Lisa said...

Hi! We also have a robin's nest, and I've been thinking the babies should be hatched by now - I'll try to check on it today.

Love your apron!

Beth said...

Oh, please, share the pie recipe!

I also make all our bread, usually a no knead recipe, and if a recipe requires kneading, I do it in my stand mixer. If I may ask, does your bread slice nicely for sandwiches? If so, what is your secret!?

Thanks!

Judy@Learningtoletgo said...

I've never seen the interior of a frozen egg. Fascinating! And I love your robin(s).

Mrs. Fordyce said...

The robin's nest is so cool! I also love the apron you are wearing-very pretty. I have been making our bread using the book "Artisan Bread in Just Five Minutes a Day" and I love it, but I miss kneading dough! Looks like fun.

Holly@ThreeSidedWheel said...

The frozen egg is incredible! And what lovely pictures of the bird's nest!

~the ten of us~ said...

The frozen egg was fascinating. A science experiment!!

Yours Truly said...

Thank you for the comments!
Kenj, eggs that have been frozen within their shells are not supposed to be eaten because when the shell cracks, bacteria on the outside can get in. I have never frozen eggs on purpose, but the are edible as long as they are not in their shells.

Mrs. Fordyce, I will have to check out that book! I always love a new recipe.

Beth, we've never had a problem with our bread not slicing well-- I guess it's just the recipe?

As I will not be in town until monday, I will be happy to post the bread and pie recipe then.