Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Martyrdom

Lately there has been so much going on to keep me busy, but despite everything, I keep getting new ideas for posts...My only resort is to make a billion drafts so I don’t forget the ideas! I’ve been meaning to post this particular one for several months, and now I finally have the chance! 
(This image is from the NYPL Digital Gallery.
 It is originally from the 1600s.)


Some time ago, when I was praying in front of Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, I got to thinking about martyrdom. 
When thinking about martyrdom, I often picture people like St. Charles Lwanga and his companions or some of the members of the early Church who were told, “Renounce your faith or die."

The problem is, looking at martyrdom this way makes it seem distant and almost “unreal” to us on a personal level.  But in reality, the life of the Christian is the life of the martyr. Yet how can this be so since many of us are not called to physically die for the Faith? 

As I sat before Our Lord that day, I imagined myself facing the martyr’s ultimate decision. I prayed that I would have the strength to stay strong if I were ever in that situation. But I was also reminded that faithfulness in small things is what leads to faithfulness in great ones. 

In other words, no one can be a martyr in great things if they are not first a martyr in the small. No one die the ultimate martyr’s death without first having suffered a martyrdom to self on an everyday basis
As someone who is often very impulsive, this resonates with me in a very tangible way. It is sad to say, but sometimes it can be hard to motivate myself due to procrastination or just plain laziness. Now, when I do not feel like doing something I ought, I can say, “I will do this because I believe in the Triune God/the True Presence/the Immaculate Conception/etc.” 
To some this may seem protracted, but for me it seems to be quite helpful. (I mean, once you’ve stipulated it in this way, you really cannot not do whatever it is you need to do.) 
While we may not be called to give our life in the ultimate martyr’s death (we may yet!), we are certainly called to die to ourselves in an everyday martyrdom. In this way, it becomes apparent that the life of the Christian is indeed the life of the martyr. 
Have you had any thoughts about martyrdom lately?  Also, what helps motivate you when you feel like procrastinating?