Sunday, November 6, 2011

Pre-Writer's Block

I am doing this National Novel Writing Month thing just for fun. FUN. And I am having fun when I write, but I finally decided what the whole she-bang will be about. NOW the framework must come in. I do not like framework. I like free, uninhibited writing, not the planning and outlining.

So I do things a little out of order, ... *shrug*. I wrote some key scenes that were always part of the novel even before I gave the novel the main theme. I want to express that there is natural law. But I don't want to be preachy. It has to be subtle, which means I have to think of a good framing for the thesis. When you think of great novels like Crime and Punishment, To Kill a Mockingbird, and Jane Eyre, you don't think preachy, do you? No, they are epically awesome books that underneath express the importance of morals. So now I have to figure how to form this frame to uphold the theme. What do I write to subtly express this? I really want to get back to the joy of writing, but first the grunt work. It is going to take a VERY long time, I'm afraid. Sigh, back to work I guess!

Until next time, I am your
Cagey frame-builder

1 comment:

Miss Sarah said...

I definitely think it is hard to convey the importance of morals without sounding cheesy. I think perhaps the best way would be to highlight your characters' actions and there consequences, rather than explaining it through dialogue. Hm, there was something else I was going to say but I don't remember at the moment. Perhaps if you banged the whole thing out in a rough draft and went back through it and developed more that would help. Just a few thoughts. Happy writing! :-D